Next Generations of Innovative Treatments in Healthcare: This time about PSORIASIS
Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 From 11:00 to 12:30
A series of webinars on Innovative Treatments in Healtchare powered by Abbvie
- New medicines, vaccines and other medical tools have revolutionised medical practice in the past century, leading to incredible health improvements.
- The value of medicine´s innovation is a vital part of improving and saving lives around the world.
- Slovak patients deserve the same quality of health care as our neighbours and patients in other EU countries.
- Now is the time to update the regulations in order to extend the role of innovative treatments.
- Medical technology advances have a direct impact on economic and social development, by building healthier and more productive societies.
- The use of modern therapies has led to a significant reduction in hospital stays and surgeries, resulting in important financial savings for healthcare systems.
Value of Innovation
The Value of Medicines Innovation Pharmaceutical innovation is a vital part of improving and saving lives around the world. New medicines, vaccines and other medical tools have revolutionised medical practice in the past century, leading to incredible health improvements. Indirectly, these medical technology advances have contributed to economic and social development, by building healthier and more productive societies. Innovative medicines do not only benefit patients but are an important element of well-functioning healthcare systems. By bringing novel solutions to resolving different public health problems, new medicines enable more efficient allocation of resources, leading to savings in healthcare sector. For example, use of many modern therapies has led to a significant reduction in hospital stays and surgeries, resulting in important financial savings for healthcare systems.
New treatment goals in psoriasis
Psoriasis is an immune-mediated inflammatory skin disease with significant physical and psychosocial consequences. Visible skin disfigurement and the associated symptoms of itch, pain, scaling, bleeding, burning, and cracking have a significant impact on the patient’s quality of life. Additionally, psoriasis is a systemic disease with multiple comorbidities, which increase the disease burden to beyond the realm of the skin. Psoriasis affects up to 5% of the world's population. Current estimates put the prevalence of psoriasis at up to 120 000 cases in Slovakia.
Psoriasis does not have a cure, but with emerging highly targeted and effective therapies clear skin witout plaques and inflammation have become the new, realistic gold standard. Clear/almost clear skin is now an achievable goal, with many treatments demonstrating high levels of efficacy. New targeted therapies for psoriasis have brought unsurpassed levels of efficacy and we are now seeing a shift in the expectations of both the dermatology community and people living with psoriasis towards high levels of treatment efficacy and even clear skin.
AbbVie is one of the youngest biopharmaceutical company founded in 2013. It originated as a spin-off of Abbott Laboratories, which history dates to year 1888. Abbvie bring in 2003 the world which world’s best-selling drug for 15 indication. AbbVie discovers, develops, and commercializes advanced therapies that have an impact on people's lives. Today, our passionate AbbVie team has approximately 47,000 employees working together to help patients around the world, touch millions of lives.